YUM. The first time I remember having this was when we went to visit our Anderson cousins in California a few years ago. Aunt Lori made it and as far as I know my mom got the recipe from her. Danny loves it because it's hearty and filling. I love it because it's so easy in the crock pot.
Last year when we lived with the Pages, Easton learned how to unscrew lids. I don't know what we were thinking, putting all the spices at his arm's reach, but the cumin was the first to be dumped all over the floor. We vacuumed it up. From then on, every time we vacuumed, it smelled like cumin. If we wanted to trick people into thinking we'd been slaving in the kitchen all day, all we had to do was vacuum the floor, and the room instantly smelled like this chicken chili. We try to remember it in a positive light.
These are the Anderson cousins (courtesy of Maggie's blog). Today Uncle Russ got sustained as second counselor in the bishopric in their ward, so I guess this recipe is a toast to that. Congrats, Russ!
Uncle Russ, Aunt Lori, and cousin Maggie
Here's Kennedi and Collette with Maggie and Hallie. Couldn't find one of Jake, but he probably prefers it that way :)
And here is the RECIPE
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 1 med. onion
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 (15 1/2 oz) cans Northern Beans, drained
- 1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
- 2 (4oz) cans mild green chopped chilis
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1/2 c. whipping cream
- Cube chicken and cook in oil with onion and garlic powder.
- Stir everything else together in the crockpot.
- Add the chicken, and cook on low 2 hours (everything is cooked so really you just need to heat it throughout)
mmmmm one of my very favorites!!
ReplyDeleteI remember that Aunt Lori had that waiting for us after the long drive to San Clemente. Very yummy.
ReplyDeleteGreat. Now I have to make this. Just can't think about this stuff and not make it. Yum.
ReplyDelete