Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Meatloaf

Well, Dad likes it.

That's what Mom always told us when we'd complain about eating meatloaf for dinner.  I think we can all agree it's more of the reputation of meatloaf than the actual taste of it that we complained about.  So I made meatloaf and cornbread for dinner on Sunday.  It went well until I realized I don't own a loaf pan.  What's meatloaf without the loaf?  Well we cooked them in pyrex bowls and had personal pan-style meatloaf.  The mini-loaf. 
 
The recipe:
  • 1 lb. hamburger
  • 1 egg
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • onion
  • salt & pepper
  • handful of crushed saltines
  1.  Mix all ingredients together
  2. Smash into a loaf pan
  3. Bake at 350 for at least one hour
  4. Here is the gross part ***do not let your children or husband see you do this or you'll be dining alone!** When you get it out of the oven, you have to use a paper towel to soak up the grease. I like to think of it as healthifying the meatloaf- hey, I'm just getting rid of the grease here.  It's a healthy effort.  
  5. You can either squirt ketchup on top or just dip it, but you must use ketchup.  

And if you try a bite and don't like it, give it to Dad- he likes it.  
Really though, you'll like it.  Especially if you serve it with corn bread and honey butter!


No comments:

Post a Comment