Monday, December 20, 2010

Sugar Cookies

Another guest post! I'm thrilled. I have been meaning to make these sugar cookies to put on this blog because they really are part of our family. We make them in heart shapes for Valentines day, pumpkins and headstones and ghosts on Halloween, and ornaments and snowmen for Christmas. Since we're getting to the end of the year I figured Christmas was the last shot I got, but with the move it just hasn't happened! (I had to be banned from cooking the past few weeks so I could actually get something done).

So, I'm just so excited that Aunt Kim made these for the blog. Take it away, Kim!

Hi! This is Kelsey's favorite aunt, Kim. I have a picky husband and three year old, so if a recipe gets their approval, it must be good. This is a perfect cookie for any time of the year.
The recipe:
Cookies:
1 c. sugar + 2 Tablespoons
3/4 cup shortening 2 eggs 1/4 cup milk 1 tsp vanilla 3 3/4 cup flour 1/2 tsp salt 3 tsp baking
powder Cream sugar and shortening, beat in eggs; add milk and vanilla. Add flour, salt and baking powder, mix well. Chill in fridge (for about an hour). Roll out using as little flour as possible. Cut out, bake on greased cookie sheet at 375 for about 10 minutes (mine take 11.5). Remove from the cookie sheet after a few minutes.

Frosting:
1 Tablespoon melted butter
1 cup powder sugar
1 Tablespoon
milk (I usually double or triple the milk)
1 tsp vanilla

Frosting is best when it is slightly runny, but not too runny that it will run right off the cookies. I add the food coloring when I put a portion in zip lock bags. I cutoff a tiny bit of the corner so I can do designs. Remember a little goes a long way (except when you re-frost your three year olds cookie, then you just need a lot). The frosting will setup in about an hour, so you can s
tore them easier. If you want to eat them immediately, just use less milk. Enjoy!!
Sorry that picture's so small, Kim, I couldn't get it to go any bigger!


No comments:

Post a Comment