Saturday, October 16, 2010

Apple Pie

I'm so glad Aunt Mel came down this weekend and could help me make this pie! Grandma Manning is THE PIE MAKER in our family. Every Thanksgiving since the beginning of time she has made pies that everyone looks forward to. So, we used her recipe (Mel's done it a time or two) and baked ourselves an apple pie today. (Yes, I did feel like Snow White the whole time)

The crust:
  • 1/3 c. shortening
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c. water (or less)

  1. Cut shortening into flour+salt mixture
  2. Mix until crumbly
  3. Add water, as little as possible (1/4 c should be ok- too much water will make it tough!)
  4. roll out on floured counter, big enough to more than cover the pie tin.
**You'll want to make two crusts for apple pie (top and bottom)

The filling:

  • 7-8 fresh apples (tart is best),
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 3 T flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 egg ( or a little milk)
  • Sugar

  1. Peel and slice apples, making about 4-5 cups.
  2. Sprinkle flour over top
  3. Mix in sugar and cinnamon enough to coat the apples
  4. Pour the apple mixture into the crust
  5. Lay the second crust on top
  6. Pinch the edges together all the way around.
  7. Cut holes in the top (as decorative as you want)
  8. Brush crust with a beaten egg (or milk)
  9. Sprinkle a good amount of sugar over top to give the crust a crunchy texture
Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes until it's golden brownWhala! Enjoy with some of your favorite people! Thanks for your help Mel!

4 comments:

  1. It was fun! And reminded myself that it really isn't that big of a deal to make pies, so I should make them more often. Yummy! Thanks for the honor of "teaching" you what I learned from Grama M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy cow! you're so cool. I don't like baked fruit, but good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like baked fruit either, but I actually really liked this! Maybe making it myself makes me think its tastier.

    ReplyDelete