Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Grandpa's Mac N' Cheese

Grandpa Cook passed away when I was little. But still, a few things remind me of him. Funny thing is, almost all the things I can think of are food!

1. Poached eggs (more the smell than the actual dish, but I remember when we used to go to Aunt Karen's house it smelled so gross!! Now I know it was the poached eggs.)

2. Snowcaps (the colorful ones) and sugar-free candies


3. Homemade mac-n-cheese

4. Also the phrase "Oh my lands!" Every time Grandpa is on one of our home videos he says that. It's so cute.

5. Oh, and his belly- he always used his 'built in pillow' to rock one of his grand-babies to sleep.

6. One more thing, my uncle JC. Every time I see him I just can't stop thinking of Grandpa.
SO ANYWAY...

Dad says the fun fact about this recipe is that it was never the same thing twice. Grandpa would use whatever he had around the house and threw it in. Sooo..... here it is.
Ok, so it's not a looker. but, it is what it is, and that's that.

The recipe:
  • 1 c. dry macaroni
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1/2 tsp Wocestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp paprika
  • 1 1/2 c cheddar cheese
  1. Cook and drain 1 c. macaroni
  2. Beat eggs well
  3. Stir in milk and seasonings
  4. Layer macaroni and cheese in 1 1/2 quart casserole pan, ending with a layer of cheese
  5. Pour egg mixture over top
  6. Sprinkle with additional paprika
  7. Bake in microwave 4 1/2 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment