Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sweet & Sour Hamburger

I always HATED it when my mom made this as a kid. Looking back though, I just don't know why! So I got to thinking I should really give it another shot. I'm glad I did because sweet & sour hamburger is a lot more tasty than I remember! I asked my mom about it and she told me she got the recipe from her Aunt Marge. So she'll get the credit for this one.

The recipe:

1 1/2 lb. hamburger
2/3 c. evaporated milk
1/2 c. chopped onions
2/3 c. cracker crumbs
1 tsp. salt
  • Mix the above ingredients and make into patties. Set aside.
2T cornstarch
1/2 c. brown sugar
2T soy sauce
1/4 c. vinegar
1 c. water
1 chopped green pepper
2 cans pineapple chunks
  • Drain pineapple juice, and keep enough to make 1c. If there isn't enough, add water.
  • Put in saucepan with cornstarch, brown sugar, soy sauce, and vinegar. Stir until thick and clear.
  • Cook hamburger in frying pan (for me it was the George Foreman)
  • Place pineapple and green pepper in sauce. Heat.
  • Drain grease and simmer all together 15 minutes
  • Serve with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment