Thursday, September 30, 2010

Berok

Aunt Mel told me about this one. I guess Grandma used to make it and Great-Grandma made it before her. For some reason, every time I make something with cabbage I think of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- they had cabbage soup for dinner every night. So to be honest, I'm trying to imagine my family eating it years ago, but all I can think up are scenes from the movie.........

The Recipe:
  • 4 c. cabbage
  • 2 lbs. hamburger
  • 2 yellow onions
  • 36 rhodes rolls
The directions are just too easy! First set out your rolls to thaw. Put the cabbage and onions in a frying pan, let them cook together for a few minutes. Then add your (already cooked) hamburger and let the flavors cook together for a bit. I love the green color from the cabbage. Note: this step can be stinky. May bother your husband's upper lip syndrome. Flatten out your roll, put a spoonful of the filling in the middle and wrap it up so it makes a ball. Then bake about 12 minutes on 350.

2 comments:

  1. I totally missed this one! Way to go! Were they good? It used to be our favorite when Grama Manning would send us home with berok! (How did you get the spelling of that word?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love these! Apparently someone made up the spelling along the way. That is how Grama M wrote it in her cook book she gave to us.

    ReplyDelete