Friday, June 10, 2011

Whoopie Pies

Thanks to Aunt Mel for posting this yummy recipe.  I'll let her take it from here....

This is a traditional New England treat that was passed down to me from my mom-in-law.  I married a New Englander from New Hampshire.  The first time I had heard of a whoopie pie was when I moved to New Hampshire for a few months in my early twenties.  They are everywhere - even boxed up in grocery stores.  Josh and I made some of these together on one of our first few dates.  If you are into tasting/licking the batter, this is one of the best I've ever had.  Try it!  This is a fun recipe to make with the kids so they can put the filling in the middle.  Another New England thing is called Fluff.  It is similar to marshmallow cream, but "fluffier."  Fluff doesn't seem to be available in the western states, but you can order it online.  The consistency is just a little different if you use marshmallow cream, but still a VERY tasty treat!



The Recipe:

  • 6 T shortening
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 c. flour
  • 5 T. cocoa
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 c. milk

Mix shortening and sugar together.  Add egg and vanilla and beat.  After mixing flour, cocoa, salt, and soda add this mixture alternately with the milk.  Drop by tablespoons on ungreased cookie sheets.  Bake at 425 degree oven for 7-9 minutes. 



    FILLING:

    3/4 Cup shortening
    3/4 Cup powdered sugar
    6 TBSP marshmallow fluff  
    Dash salt
    Little vanilla




    Beat all ingredients together.  Put in middle of Whoopie Pies and enjoy!




    This doesn't make very many, so I usually double it for my family and give a few away.


    1 comment: