Friday, May 13, 2011

Chinese Mother's Day

I have to say, I think my mom is pretty lucky when it comes to Mother's Day.  A few years ago Dad made a new tradition- every first day of the month is Mother's Day.  We don't have to get a gift every month but we try to make sure we at least say thank you and I love you and be a little extra nice on that day.  So when the real Mother's Day rolls around we have to outdo all the previous mini Mothers Days.  This year Dad did Chinese.  He went to Taiwan on his mission (working on putting a picture of that up) so I guess if we were to say he has a specialty, Chinese food would be it.  Another thing to add.  When Dad puts his mind to doing something, he doesn't just do the bare minimum.  Ever.  This meal was no exception. 


The menu:
Entrees:
-Pork noodles
-Sweet & Sour Chicken
-Beef & Broccoli
-White Rice
Dim Sum:
What's dim sum you ask?  It's Mandarin for the "everything else on the table."  I think it's just the greatest word for it!
-Steamed BBQ Pork Buns
-Pot Stickers
-Steamed Dumplings
-Shrimp Dumpligs
-Lychees

Pretty decent meal huh?  I made the (totally Americanized) Sweet & Sour Chicken so I thought I'd post that recipe up here.  

Sweet & Sour Chicken
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 2 T vegetable oil
  • celery
  • red bell pepper
  • pineapple chunks
  • Kikoman's Sweet & Sour Sauce (so tasty- and even one of the cheaper brands!)
  1. Thaw chicken breasts, cube, and using a large frying pan or wok, saute in the oil until thoroughly cooked. Drain liquid off.
  2. Chop celery and red pepper, and add to chicken in pan. 
  3. Pour enough sauce in to coat everything.
  4. Add pineapple chunks.
See?  Not a lot of effort, still an awesome meal.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks everyone for a fabulous Mother's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thought of making Chinese food totally freaks me out, but I'm going try the sweet and sour chicken! It sounds easy enough and so good! I'm trying to figure out how I can get Thomas to incorporate Mothers day once a month!... btw the baked taquitos were awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm that is a good sweet and sour you make. By the way... are you sure it isn't "and then some?" You know like sweet and sour and then some.... sweet and sour and din sum...???

    ReplyDelete