Sunday, August 29, 2010

Letters from Freida

A few years ago, my Great-Grandma Manning took the time to write out several of her recipes and compile a cookbook for her grandchildren. As I looked through it today to pick some recipes out, I saw these notes and pictures in the inside cover. I thought they were so special so I want to have them here on my blog. Grandma Manning has always been so good at writing letters to her family so I want to keep them handy.



Ok so those are a little hard to see but at least you can tell they're there. On the "About Me" note, she starts off by saying "I have no talents like music, art, dance, etc. So I've decided my talent must be foods- from growing vegetables in my garden, to canning and storing fruits from my orchard and the veggies." Amen, Grandma! I think all of her descendants would agree with that. Here are some pictures of Grandma working on her talents.

I remember visiting Grandma Manning and picking raspberries- she gave us buckets that were made of washed out ice cream tubs with ropes tied onto them. We threw them around our necks and filled them with berries. (Which she turned into wonderful raspberry jam)

Canning applesauce... Who remembers that kitchen?

Blue ribbons won from the fair

Rye Bread... I'll attempt that soon enough

1 comment:

  1. Hey those are cool. What do you mean you'll attempt rye bread soon enough?

    ReplyDelete